Saturday, June 27, 2009

Silk Road - 31 May 2009 - Bazaar in Samarkand & Tombs

We went to the market place which is near the Bibi Hanun Mosque. I bought some saffron, two silk children’s dresses and two woolen scarves. The next stop was the Necropolis of the Living King, which contains about 20 mausoleums which date from the 15th to the 16th century. In the 19th century, there was a small madrassah located at the site. The site includes the tomb of a cousin of Mohammed who was supposed to have been responsible for converting the people to Islam. At this point my memory card indicated that it was full. Consequently it was a good thing that we headed back to the hotel for lunch. I was able to get my second memory card. Since I have uploaded all my pictures to my computer, there was no reason that I couldn’t erase the card, but I prefer to use the second card.

Bazaar
Tomb
Bazaar
Description
Mausoleum
Tomb
Description
Description
Description
Tomb with beautiful tile work
Entrance to Tomb
Inside Tomb
Heading to other Tombs
Domes of Tombs
Tombs
Tomb
View of several of the tombs

No comments: