Sunday, June 14, 2009

Silk Road - 18 May 2009 - Istanbul Street

We walked through typical narrow streets with shops on either side. I treated myself to a pound of Turkish coffee to take home. We went on to the Spice Bazaar where I took more pictures. While waiting for the bus, I took a few pictures of the New Mosque built around 1600.

We then went to a 400 year old building where we were served lunch and sold rugs. The lunch was. good and I fell in love with a small silk and cotton rug which I treated myself to.

Shopping Street in Istanbul
Shopping Street in Istanbul
Spice Bazaar
In Spice Bazaar
New Mosque while waiting for bus to go to carpet store in 400 year old building

New Mosque
Carpet that I bought

We headed to the airport for our flight to Almati in Kazakhstan. It left at about 5:20 pm and arrived in Kazakhstan at about 1:30 the next morning. I was surprised when they were putting luggage through a metal detector again. It was done twice at the airport in Istanbul as we were leaving. As I went through customs, I was surprised that they took a picture of me. We arrived at the hotel around two in the morning. I probably didn’t get to sleep until three as I wanted to wash out some clothes. There are two rods which are towel warmers and I found them perfect to dry socks and panties. I hung my blouse and slacks on hangers.

No comments: