Sunday, June 21, 2009

Silk Road - 23 May 2009 - Afternoon in Kashgar, China

Lunch was in the building that used to be the British Consulate. It has gone through several changes in use and is now a hotel.

After lunch, we went to Festival Square, but we could not go into the Eid Gah Mosque, because it was prayer time. Instead we walked through the “sales” district of the old mud brick city. I was fascinated by the veiled woman driving a scooter. We stopped in a music store where they actually made the different types of instruments that they play here. I would have loved to buy Herman the one that is played like a guitar, but there is no way I could get it home. We went through the residential district with the very narrow streets.



Chicks for sale
Old Kashgar Selling street
Selling Street
Woman on scooter. I was fascinated by women in conservative Islamic dress riding scooters.
Music Store
Music Store
Music Store
Music Store
Kathy buying tambourine
Street Scene
Street Scene
Women on scooter with children
Women on scooter with children
Cooper Shop
Residential Street
Residential Street
Residential Street
Lovely carved wooden door

Our next stop for the day was the government store that the guides are required to take us. I bought a pair of silk pajamas for Marla. I tried to get a pair for My Little Muffin, but they didn’t have them. They had a lot of nice looking carpets. Since I didn’t need one and I never saw one that could replace the one in the living room even in Turkey.

We went to a Moslem restaurant for dinner. The ambiance was nice, but the food was not the best that we have had in Central Asia. We returned to the hotel where I tried to catch up on my blogging. I remained up until quite late trying to catch up on my notes. I should have gotten more sleep.



Video Clip of view from my room



Moslem Restaurant in Kashgar
Moslem Restaurant

Musicians at Restaurant

Musicians at Restaurant


Video Clip of Festival Square

No comments: