Thursday, January 24, 2008

Tuesday, 22 January 2008





























After breakfast, the keeper of the Port Lockroy museum came on board and spoke about Port Lockroy. He spoke well and then discussed the gift shop they helped to maintain the stations.

I wound up on a zodiac that took us to Wiencke Island first. The big attractions are whale bones that someone put together in a close approximation of what the whale skeleton would look like. There were a lot of Gentoo Penguins nesting with the chicks. The Gentoo penguin chick behave in a much more sedate fashion than the Adelie penguin chicks that are always running after the parent demanding to be fed.

Next I went to Port Lockroy where I helped support the historic site. They have restore the original cabin and created a gift shop. After wandering around for a while, I returned to the ship to get out of my long johns and relax a little.

After lunch, someone whose name escapes me spoke about kayaking around the shores of Antartica. As usually I had trouble staying awake, so I came down to my cabin for a short nap. When we get to the Gerlach (sp?) straights, we might see whales.

After nap time, I went to the library which is in the front of the ship and high. I watched the ice bergs go by. I even saw a sailing ship. I don’t envy them going thru Drake’s passage. At four tea time was announced. They are serving hot dogs and beer on the pool deck. Some of the people thought they were joking, but they weren’t.

Once we got out of the lee of the island, I made a mad dash for my cabin and lay flat on my back.

No comments: