Thursday, January 17, 2008

Monday, 14 January 2008


On the plane to Punta Areanas. We had a 5:00 AM wake up call. Breakfast was served at 5:30 and we were on the bus by 6:00AM. I tried to eat a light breakfast in case the flight was bumpy. I proved to be fairly smooth. We had to stop at Punta Arenas to have our passports stamped and turn in a form that was filled out upon entry to Chile. Our luggage was taken to the airport where it was placed upon a cart for me to wheel into the air port. Where the wheel had come off my suitcase, I saw only fabric and became upset. I got out my duct tape and taped it up. I hope it lasts the trip. Santiago to Puntas Areneas is about 1,400 miles.

Upon landing in Ushuai, our luggage was taken directly to the ship while we were bussed through the National Park here in Tierra del Fuego. At the end of the park tour we went on a catamaran for a tour of the bay area and had lunch. I shot some pictures which I will post later as I am charged about 25 cents a minute and I just used up 16 to delete messages that I won’t read.

At the end of the catamaran ride, we boarded the ship. The cabin surprised me by being larger than I expected. We had the usual fire drill, some speeches about amenities offered on the ship followed by dinner.

I am very pleased with the people. All seem friendly and down to earth.

No comments: