Saturday, January 19, 2008

Saturday, 19 January 2008



























I got up early because the plan was to land at Bailey Head, but the surf was too rough to land. Instead we went into the caldera of Deception Island. I was one of the people who went swimming in the hot spots. It was relatively easy walking because the land is covered with volcanic sand. After my “swim”, I wandered around with one of guides and saw the remnants of the whaling industry as well as the British research station. There was a cemetery for whalers who died down here, but the last volcanic explosion produced a river of mud which covered almost everything.

After we came back on board, the captain looked at Bailey Head and decided It was too rough to try. Instead we are heading south to something called Trinity Island. We may go into Mickelson harbor if the weather conditions permit.

After lunch I lounged in the lounge. At 3:00 pm, there was a lecture on seals, both Artic and Antartic.

We went into Mickelson Harbor, which is in Trinity Island. We were given the option of going to the island or cruising around the island in one of the zodiacs. Since I’d had some trouble the day before getting back on the zodiac, I was a little concerned. I got into the cruising zodiac and was taken to the island so that I could decide what I wanted to do, based upon personal observation. The landing was quite easy so I stayed on the island and wandered around. I saw a few Antartic Skua and loads of Gentoo penguins. There is a survival hut on the island, which we asked not to enter. It is for emergency use.

Dinner was served at about 8:30pm. I was invited to join one of the researchers and it resulted in a very pleasant evening. Dinner ended just in time for me to get back to my cabin, shower and go to sleep.

No comments: