Monday, January 21, 2008

Monday, 21 January 2008



















Breakfast was announced for 7:30 so I got out of bed. The plans for today are not definitive. We’re at the end of the Penola Straight and the captain indicated that we may go ashore on an island and just take the zodiacs for a ride around the island.

Well we actually landed on Pleneau (plen-O) Island. It was on rock which meant that I had to be practically carried away from the landing site. I attempted a climb to the high point on the island, but at a certain point our guide indicated that unless you were sure to turn back. At that point I acknowledged that I would practically have to be carried, which would be unfair to the others. Consequently I turned back. One of the naturalist was explaining how they count Penguins. Apparently in the November /December time frame, they count nests. This time of year they count chicks. If the chicks have crèched, counting is extremely difficult because they don’t stay still. It was explained to me that they use a regular handheld counter and walk a straight line next to the area and count. They do it at least three times. The idea is to get three counts that are within eight percent of each other.

I came back relatively early because it was raining and cloudy and there wasn’t much more to do on the Island. I guess if the weather had been better I might have found a rock to sit on and watch the elephant seals.

I am in the group heading to Palmer Station on Amvers Island. We are anc hored in Arthur Harb or. Next is Torgeson Island.

Palmer Station on Amvers Island was my first top. A very nice young man took us around and showed us some of the research being carried out. He described the living conditions as being quite comfortable. They have internet access to the rest of the world as well as phone access. There was a gift shop where I was able to buy some things for my little Muffin. They served us coffee and brownies. Apparently this is a tradition at Palmer Station. Of course, personnel from the station are invited onto the ship for dinner and drinks.

Our next stop was Torgeson Island. As usual I had trouble getting off the zodiac onto the shore. There were a batch of rocks to be navigated over which I practically had to be carried. We were not permitted on half the island. There is a study which has been going on for about 25 years. They were trying to determine what effect people visiting this island has on the penguins. The penguins were the Adelie Penguins. There were quite a few chicks, which are brown balls of fluff. I didn’t see much of the chick chasing a parent for food behavior.

After we got back to the ship, I showered and went up to the lounge where they showed part of the DVD of the trip that they will be selling. It was interesting that the video ended at the point where we were swimming at Deception Island. Fortunately I wasn’t in the video.

Tonight Palmer Station Personnel will be hanging out on the ship. Apparently the staff on the ship has worked hard to establish rapport with the Palmer Station people so that Endeavor passengers are more likely to be permitted to see the station. In theory, only twelve ships are permitted to send passengers ashore to Palmer Station.

Tomorrow we head for Port Lockroy where our post cards will be mailed. They should reach their destinations within the next two to three weeks. Unfortunately, tomorrow night we will be heading north back to Ushuia.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sue,

Love your blog. You kept a good diary of the trip and already have your pictures with it. Wonderful. I am now where near this stage, so I hand it to you.

Valerie

Keith Zimmerman said...

Sue. Great pictures and blog. Thanks for sharing!

Keith and JT