Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Wine Country Tour out of Capetown - 20 July 2016



20 July 2016
I woke to a rainy, grey day. I knew that my whale watching expedition was canceled and I was scheduled for the wine country tour.  Our tour guide, Clare, came to me while I was having breakfast and told me that my tour would leave from the lobby at 9:00 am.

Our tour guide was Graham who really was very familiar with the area.  The wine country tour was more than just visiting wineries.  As we drove through the area, Graham spoke about the history of the area.  Our first stop was at Fairview winery where we sampled 6 different wines, which were good.  They were paired with different cheeses.  After I finished sampling the wines, my head was spinning and I ate cheese in an attempt to stop the spinning.

"Art" on the porch at Fair View

FairView

Goat at FairView

Goat at FairView

Zebra on farm that we passed on the road

 Ostrich- Male I think

Ostrich - Female (grey feathers)

Female Ostrich


Our next stop was at Spice Route where we sampled the chocolate that they used.  The cocoa beans were sourced from Uganda, Madagascar, Trinidad & Tobago, Venezuela Carenero, Sao Tome and Venezuela Rio Caribe.  I am sorry that I didn’t buy any to take back with me.  After the chocolate tasting, we headed to the cafĂ© where we had coffee.

At Spice Route

Spice Route

 Spice Route View

Art and Dutch Architecture

Chocolate Tasting

We headed into Franschoek to observe the village which was very pretty.  This village was originally settled by French Hugenots who were brought to South Africa to develop the wine industry.  With the passage of time, the French culture was lost and the people speak Africaans.  

 In Franschoek where the Hugentotes settled to start the wine industry in South Africa

 Monument at end of village

Dutch Reform Church

In the Dutch Reform Church
Our next stop was Stellenbosch, where we visited the museum which consisted of four houses that were built from 1698 to 1850.  Stellenbosch has one of the largest universities in South Africa.  Originally the language of instruction was Africaans, but currently instruction is offered in both Africaans and English.  Stellenbosch is a very pretty village and I would have enjoyed spending a little more time there.

Stellenbosch Village Museum - House nbr 2

Date 1789

Stellenbosch Village Museum - House nbr 1

Date - 1698

Stellenbosch Village Museum - House nbr 4

Date 1850

Stellenbosch Village Museum - House nbr 3

Date 1782

Unusual Piano

Thatch Roof

Thatch Roof

We headed back to Cape Town.  The rain was really coming down.  Apparently there has been a drought consequently, the rain is really appreciated..
After we got back, I met Erick and we went out to eat.  I was not terribly hungry and had a relatively light meal. Clare, our tour guide, joined us and we sat and spoke for a while.
Tomorrow we head for Kruger National Park where we will see the ”Big Five”, Lion, elephant, Leopard, Rhinosorous, Cape Buffalo)

No comments: