Monday, August 8, 2016

Cape Malay Neighborhood in Capetown - 19 July 2016



My wake-up call came on time.  I lounged around and then dressed and headed down for breakfast. I was a little disappointed that I ate breakfast alone, but I wasn’t late.

We were scheduled to leave for the Bo-Kaap otherwise known as Cape Malay at 8:45 and we were for the most part on time.  The Bo-Kaap is a neighborhood close to downtown Cape Town and was a traditional “coloured” neighborhood and heavily Moslem.  The houses are relatively small having two to two and half bedrooms. Apparently it was traditional for these homes to be occupied by multigenerational families.

Our local guide was a man named Mohamed who spoke about the composition of the neighborhood, which is changing because of its close proximity to downtown Cape Town.  The houses are being sold for relatively high prices enabling the sellers to buy larger homes in suburbs further out from the down town area.

We were taken into a shop called Monkey Biz, which sells beaded items made by women in traditional villages which enables them to earn money while staying home taking care of their children.  While the items were pretty and well made, I did not purchase because I didn’t know who I could give them to.  They were too delicate for my grandchildren.

Next we were taken to the local community center, where Mohamed spoke about the history of South Africa.  It was well done, but I was exhausted and kept falling asleep.

Our next stop was in a spice shop which apparently has been in business for several generations.  We then went to the home of a lady who had some of us (not me) assist with the cooking.  The food was typical of the environment and I enjoyed it.  Unfortunately during lunch, I managed to spill a glass of juice.

Leaving the Bo-Kaap, we toured the downtown area of Cape Town.  I found it interesting that it was advised that we not wander around after dark.  I suspect that they have a serious crime problem which they are trying to minimize.


View of main street in Bo-Kaap



 In Bo-Kaap, Mohamed talking about the area


Local Mosque

Local Mosque

Colorful Houses in Bo-Kaap


 Heading to Monkey Biz


 Women working in Money Biz


Bo-Kaap

 Lunch in Bo-Kaap also known as Cape Malay




After we returned to the hotel, Clare took me to the Waterfront where I was able to exchange money.  I was attempting to buy souvenirs, but after a while, my foot was killing me and I headed back to the hotel where I went to my room and passed out.  I did upload my pictures and updated my log.
 


Waterfront

It appears that I won’t be going whale watching because of the bad weather.  I had initially debated between whale watching and going to the wineries so that I am not terribly upset.
 

No comments: