Monday, August 8, 2016

Capetown Arrival - 18 July 2016


18 July 2016

My first day on tour and I overslept.  It was not really my fault in that I had requested a 6:00 am wake-up call which I didn’t get.  I jumped into my clothes and headed down to the lobby where I met the group.  I was surprised that there are only 11 people on the tour.
Our first stop was the cable car up to Table Mountain.  The views were lovely.  I looked thru the curio shop and I have an idea on what I can buy for my grandchildren.  After heading down, I stopped and bought coffee and a muffin.  Since we immediately got on the bus, I managed to spill my coffee.  I had to borrow 100 Rand from our tour leader. 
 



 Tram lines up to Table Mountain

Looking down from Table Mountain



Lion's Head


On the Road

 Me with Lion's Head in the background



Next we drove along Chapman’s Peak Drive.  It was a very narrow windy road that had been closed at one point because of rock slides.  Again the views were magnificent.  Our next stop was in Simon’s Town, which has a major naval base, but our stop was to see the African Penguins, which are smaller than those I saw in the AntiArtic. 


Scenery off Chapman's Drive



 Scenery off Chapman's Drive



Looking out to sea


 Looking out to sea
One of the Bays along the coast

Off Chapman's Head Drive

Me again

 Clouds on the mountains


 Lovely beach

Better view of the beach

Lunch was in a restaurant called the Black Marlon where we were mostly served fish.  The lunch was supposed to be lime fish, calimara and prawns.  I requested only the lime fish which was very good. 


 African Penguins

Penguins resting

 Penguin sampling vegetation
 

 two penguins
 Penguins on the beach


 Note juvenile fluff still on penguin
Larger Penguin camp

Baby Penguins still completely covered by fluff

 Looking out to sea
 Looking out to sea

Our next stop was at Cape Point where we saw the light houses whose purpose was to prevent ships from crashing on the rocks. We also went to Cape of Good Hope.  Frankly I am not sure which we did first, but the views were great and I enjoyed very much.


Me at Cape of Good Hope

Surf at Cape of Good Hope

Looking up the mountain

Breakers at Cape of Good Hope

Eland on the right side of picture

Baboon annoyed with man taking selfie

Me at Cape Point light house area

The white spot is the new light house

Old light house

Another view of old light house

We came back to the hotel and regrouped at 6:30 for the welcoming banquet, which was at a marvelous restaurant.

Other than my problems (Waking up late and spilling coffee), a great first day.

Elizabeth’s husband showed me how to stop the roaming on my phone and to use the internet for text messages.

No comments: