Saturday, August 20, 2016

Third Day at Kapama and on to Johannesburg - 24 July 2016



24 July 2016

As usual we headed out at 6:30.  The ranger and tracker had the objective to find a leopard.  Leopards are notoriously reclusive.  We drove around for a while and stopped by a water hole where we saw some geese and an Egyptian Ibis.  There was also a Nile Crocodile which on picture is almost invisible.  Then Andre, our ranger, got a call to go to a particular location because they said that a Leopard had been found.  Andre drove like a “bat out of hell” and got us to the location where the leopard was resting after her kill and eating.  I don’t think my pictures were that good, because there was a limit to how close we could get to the Leopard.


White Geese and Egyptian Ibis

Nile Crocodile

Leopard with her kill, an Impala

Leopard and her kill

Leopard

Leopard

Leopard resting after kill

Leopard

Leopard

Lepoard


After breakfast, we headed to the airport. It is a tiny airport situated on a South African Air Force base.  Checking in was a breeze.  Clare had taken our luggage to the airport and gotten our boarding passes.  I went into the gate area (there is only one) and sat and read until it was time to board.  Clare had arranged for a wheel chair to meet me at the Johannesburg Airport.  It was about a 30 minute ride to our hotel which is actually in a suburb of Johannesburg.  I am very satisfied with the hotel although I don’t have Internet in my room.  I had to go down to the lobby to check my e-mail. I then returned to my room and changed my clothes.  I felt like dressing up a little (my black slacks and blouse) and went to the restaurant in the hotel.  I ordered duck and then came upstairs to load my pictures onto my computer.

 Kapama  River Lodge

Lobby

 pool and sun deck

 African Craft Market where I went for broke
In Johannesberg

No comments: