Friday, August 7, 2015

19 July 2015 – Arrive in Mongolia



A 5:00 am wake-up call enabled me to be in the lobby in time for the 5:30 departure for the airport. Kai was there and the bus took him and the four of us going to Mongolia to the airport.  As usual he was extremely helpful to me with luggage and getting me to the right gate.  We boarded the plane on time, but apparently owing to bad weather we sat on the tarmac for about two hours before taking off.  I was a bit concerned that the flight might be cancelled, but we took off and landed in in Ulaanbaatar about two hours late.

Me at Airport


There are about 3 million people living in Mongolia, half live in Ulaanbaatar.  There are the usual range of jobs there, but mining is important.  They mine coal and use it to generate electricity.  They also mine gold and copper, as well as other minerals.

Our new guide/tour director was waiting for us when we arrived.  Her name is Altai like the mountain.  Her English is quite good.  Her attitude is “let’s go”, which I think is great. Our first stop was at the Hunnu shopping mall where they have a museum of dinosaurs found in Mongolia.  A dinosaur museum in a shopping mall stuck me as unusual, but it works.  

 Dinasaur museum at Hannu Shopping Mall
 Dinosaur museum at Hannu Shopping Mall
 Shopping mall
 Dinosaur museum at Hannu Shopping Mall
 Dinasaur museum at Hannu Shopping Mall
 Dinasaur museum at Hannu Shopping Mall
Our next stop was lunch in a local restaurant. The first dish was chicken with pickles and I was surprised at how much I liked it.  A pumpkin soup followed and then a steak.  Everything was good, but it was just too much.

Where we had lunch

After lunch we headed to the National History Museum, which covers the history of Mongolia from prehistoric times to the present.  I thought that the exhibits were very well done.  They had a little gift shop, but I didn’t pick up anything (unusual for me).  It had been threatning to rain, but we walked over to the Sukhbaatar Square.  The National Assembly is at one end and there are statues of Genghis Khan as well as two warriors.  In the center of the square was a statue of a general (I forgot his name) who led the Mongolians in battle against the Russians, Chinese and Manchurians.  I noticed toy cars for children and children playing with them.  There were also some older boys on bicycles.

 Linda on street near square
 National Museum of History
 Genghis Khan

 Soldier guarding Genghis Khan
 Genghis Khan
 Soldier guarding
 National Assembly
 They were taking pictures and so did I
 Hero general who found the Russians, Chinese and Manchurians
 Description which I can't read
 Topiary
 Topiary
 Topiary
 Center of Mongolia
 Buildings around the square
In the street.  Guide - Altay

The Mongolian Folklore Performance was our evening entertainment.  It was well done.  After the performance we headed to a restaurant for dinner.  The food was good and there was too much.  We finally headed to the Ramada where we were staying.  It was eminently satisfactory, but it was not up to the standard of the hotels we stayed at in China.  A Shangra La is being built in Ulaanbaatar; consequently future excursions may stay there.  I worked on updating my pictures before I just collapsed.

 Theatre where we saw show
 Theatre
 Behind the restaurant
 Dinner restaurant

 Dinner restaurant name - Silk Road

No comments: