Wednesday, August 5, 2015

16 July 2015 - Arrive in Beijing



I had a wake-up call for 5:00 am so I could get everything done in time for the 6:30 am it out before I went down for breakfast.  Our tour director had managed to get the dining room open at 5:30.  We headed to the airport and our plane left for Beijing around 9 am and arrived around 11.  The plan was to go to the Summer Palace today.  The reason was that Beijing traffic is awful and it is on the way from the airport to the hotel, which makes sense.  We stopped at a Ramada Hotel for lunch.  It reminded me of a Chinese banquette that I had attended years ago, when I was attending a course when I worked at IBM.  All 14 of us sat around at circular table and there was a lazy susan on the table and they kept putting various dishes on the table.  Interestingly there were no pork or shell fish dishes.


Where we had lunch


Bird's Nest - Stadium built for the Olympics

IBM building in Beijing

After lunch we headed for the Summer Palace.  For the first time it actually rained when we were out doing touristy things.  I decided to pull out my pancho and use it.  I probably could have gotten away with my hat and jacket. We got on a dragon boat which took us to the other side of the lake.  There was the marble boat built by the Chinese Empress when the Navy requested ships.  There was a covered walk-way with paintings for the Emperor to view as he walked along.    There was a store and I bought a bracelet, for which I probably overpaid.  Oh well, that is my job.


Entering the Summer Palace



Dragon Boat in Summer Palace Lake


Lake in Summer Palace


Another View of Gate

Bridge on lake



Private paddle boats on lake


Pagoda and Temple from Dragon Boat


Pagoda and Temple from Dragon Boat


Pagoda and Temple from Dragon Boat


Pagoda and Temple from Dragon Boat


Marble Boat built in about 1900 by Chinese Empress


Note beautiful painting


Paintings on the walk-way


Roof of a part of walk-way ceiling


another view of the ceiling


View of Pagoda


Looking out at the lake


Another painting on the walk-way


Building - no idea what it is


Another view of the building


Pagoda


A Restaurant (I think?)


Roof at path intersection


Me with Lake in background


Me with Lake in background


Me with Lake in background


Pagoda as we are leaving

Pagoda as we are leaving

We arrived on the hotel around 5:00 pm with the rest of the evening at leisure. 

 In Fairmount Hotel

I don’t know what everyone else is doing, but I’ve decided to have a very leisurely evening.

No comments: