Tuesday, August 4, 2015

13 July 2015 - Lhasa Day 2



We had a late start today.  We left at 10:00 am to head to the Sera Monastery which is one of the most significant religious sites in Lhasa.  It currently has about 400 monks. The views of the mountains around the monastery are magnificent.  Way up the mountain is a small yellow building.  It is the convent in which 15 nuns currently live.


Street Scene Heading to Sera Monastery

 The mountains in the distance

Entering Sera Monastery


Nunnery - 15 woman at present

Store with Name of Monastery



 Description


Walking up street

 Mountains in the background



Prayer Wheels


 Walking up Street to main temple


Temple of Sera Monastery


Mandela made within the last year


 Ancient Mandela (sand painting)


Buildings in which Monks live


Temple entrance


Temple


Paintings on rocks of the mountain


Tibetan woman in front of temple


Paintings on Mountain


Another building on Mountain



Clouds on Mountain

 Leaving monastery - gate ahead

Our next stop was in a Tibet home.  Our guide explained how the people live.  It is a multi-generational home, although the only person we saw was the woman.  I noticed our guide giving her some money as we left.


Visiting Tibetan Home


"sitting room"


Entrance Door with our local guide


Views of "sitting" room


Prayer Room


Prayer room - Lama of importance to family


Another view of room


Another Room


Other room

Eat-in Kitchen


We then stopped in a “Tibetan Steak House”.  The food was acceptable.  We got back into the bus and were driven to the parking lot of the Potala.  Getting tickets is a problem and they are timed.  Our tickets were for 2:30.  If we weren’t there at the specified time, we would be denied entry. There are three check points where you go through metal detectors.  I went thru the first one and acknowledged that I would be unable to climb to the top.  At the third check point, you are entering the red part which is where the Dalai Lama lived.  You have exactly one hour to go through the religious part.  If
you take more, the tourist agency that you dealt with will no longer be able to get tickets.
I think this is where we went thru a park like area and there were Tibet women selling “jewelry”, which is really junk and probably imported from China.  There was a necklace that I wanted to buy.  I didn’t realize what junk it was, but I liked its appearance.  She asked 100 Yuan. I think I started at 20.  We reached a point where she said her final offer was 50.  I said 40 and she took it.  I still think I overpaid.  40 Yuan is worth a bit less than $7.  Debbie was interested in some bracelets.  These two women effectively had her surrounded and when she refused their price they obviously cursing out guide who is Chinese] . I think that the Tibetans just about hate the Chinese. Chinese teachers are brought in to teach in the schools.  China is investing a lot of money in Tibet.  They are building roads, railways and apartment buildings.  I get the impression that the Tibetans would prefer that the Chinese just go away.  The Chinese on the other hand object to the Tibetan’s devotion to religion and don’t understand why they don’t want to work and improve their lives.


Potala Entrance


Potala - "office" section

Potala
Paintings on rock wall



Paintings on rock wall


Potala

Potala

Looking up at the Potala


Treasure Hall


Me in the Potala


Treasure Hall of Potala

 Views of the Potala



Potala


Potala


 Street with sales kiosks

View from my room in the Hotel ShangriLa in Lhasa

I felt badly that I couldn’t make the climb, but the air is too thin here.  I really should have had the prescription filled which would have helped me deal with the thin air.

Tonight dinner is in the hotel.


No comments: