Sunday, August 2, 2015

11 July 2015 - A Very Busy Day



We left the ship around 9:30 and went into the city of Chongqing.  During World War II, this city was the capital of China because at the time it was inaccessible.  We had to walk up some fairly steep steps to get to the top where a bus was waiting for us.  Kai, our tour director, was kind enough to carry my carry-on up for me.  He had hired some men to carry our check-in luggage up.  I asked if there were any remnants from World War II, but our guides indicated no.


Leaving Ship

 Leaving Ship heading into Chongqing

The morning program was to head to the local zoo to see the Pandas.  There are two kinds of pandas; the lesser panda and the giant panda.  The lesser is red and smaller. The giant pandas were quite busy eating; consequently we didn’t see any “cute” behaviors.  Our local guide informed us that the giant pandas have six fingers including two thumbs, which helps them eat the bamboo.



Visit Local zoo


Entering zoo


Small panda


Small panda



 Description

 Small Panda



Description

 You You snacking


You You snacking


You You snacking


 Another Panda eating in the shade


Description


Panda prefers the shade


Description


Ling Ling eating his lunch


Ling Ling eating his lunch

After seeing the Pandas, we wandered around a Chinese garden in the zoo and then went to lunch at a local restaurant.  The food was acceptable.


Chinese Garden in zoo


Decorative pagoda in zoo garden


Zoo Garden


Zoo Garden


Zoo Garden


Leaving Zoo with the tall buildings around it


Topiary figures on the way out

Restaurant where we had lunch

On the ride to the airport, Kia warned us about expressing political opinions in public.  This can be a real issue in Tibet.  We were driven from the airport to our hotel in Lhasa.  We had to pass a check point.  Apparently there are lots of check points in Lhasa and we warned NOT to take pictures of the check points, soldiers, police and barracks.  


Landed in Lhasa


Near Airport


Me with silk welcome scarf


View out of my window.
The Lhasa Shangri La is beautiful.  It is different from the one in Hong Kong in that I assume that they are using a Tibetan motif. 

We headed down for dinner.  The altitude is effecting me but so far not terribly.  I have shortness of breath and a light headed feeling.  I was told that this is normal and I don’t need to do anything about it; at least yet.

I am very tired so I am in my room updating the information and then Beddy bye.

If my Father were alive, he would be 109 today.

No comments: