Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Santiago, Chile - 8 January 2013


 View of Santiago from High Point - Note snow on the mountains

 In park heading to light lunch

 Restaurant in park where we had light lunch

 Presidential Palace


Plaza de Arma

 Interior of Cathedral

Interior of Cathedral

 Side Chapel off Cathedral

Plaza de Arma

National Museum of History

 National Museum of History

 In Plaza de Arma

 Hotel Room


Hotel Room

As usual, I slept sporadically on the plane, which is normal for me.  We disembarked and it was quite warm.  I stopped to pay the entrance fee, but he young lady said that the fee I paid in ’08 on my way to AntArtica was still valid.  Consequently the only visa fee that I’ve had to pay was for Argentina.  This fee did not exist in ’08.   As I was going through immigration, the young man questioned me on the fee.  Fortunately there was a more experience agent next to him who pointed out what the young lady had seen earlier.

After I got thru immigration, customs and baggage claim, I found the SmarTour representative.  Waiting for other people gave me the opportunity to put my coat in my suitcase, since it was quite warm.

Santiago has a population of about 7 million.  The entire country has a population of about 17 million.  Chile’s economy is in reasonably good condition, because there principal industry is copper mining.  Tomorrow I will be going on a extra tour which will show me the produce that is grown here.  

Our first stop was on top of a hill that offers a panoramic view of the city.  It is part of a park.  We stopped in a restaurant in the park for a light lunch (coffee, cheese sandwich and cookies).  From there we went to see the outside of the presidential palace.  We also went to the Plaza de Arma, which is the first plaza built in Satiago.  Apparently Santiago was initially built on a hill, but they moved down to where the Plaza de Arma currently is.  There was an old cathedral there which was built around the time the city was found.  It has been damaged by fire and earthquake and rebuilt.  There is also the National History Museum off the Plaza.


We were then taken to our hotel.  I wanted to buy things, but (a) I was very tired and (b) there was nowhere near the hotel where you could purchase anything.  I would up taking a nap.

We had our group meeting with Alex who is the tour manager.  He was emphatic about the issue of security.  Apparently Chile is reasonably safe, Argentina and Brazil are not.  We were told not to wear Jewelry and to leave passports and extra money in the room safe.

We had dinner.  I had ordered the Talapia and it was reasonably good.  I am now off to sleep.
 

No comments: