Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Bariloche, Argentina 12 January 2013



Saturday, 12 January 2013

I started the morning with writing my blog, since we were not scheduled to leave on our walking tour until 9:30.  I got down to breakfast around 8:30 and Alex, our guide, joined me.  We all gathered in the lobby and the guide led us into a room that the hotel had prepared for our use.  The guide, Georgina, spoke in a forth right manner about some of the problems in Argentina.  There is dissatisfaction with the Catholic Church because it is apparently well known that Nazi war criminals were helped to escape particularly to this part of the world, where there is a strong German community.  Apparently the church also supported the government that caused a lot of people to disappear. The Argentinean economy is in bad shape heavily through mismanagement.  After the Volcano last year, the airport in Bariloche remained closed for 8 months which directed the tourist trade to a town further south where the Argentinean president has large holdings. 
Bariloche lives on tourism.  The southern winter brings skiers to the largest ski area in South America.  Bariloche is a sister city to Aspen and people work Aspen in the northern winter and Bariloche in the southern winter.  


Famous statue in Bariloche that is constantly fought over

 Other side of statue in square

 Saint Bernard Dogs - You are supposed to pay to take their picture


Looking down to the lake


View on the beach


View on the beach


Monkey Tree - Pine Tree indiginous to South America


Bus used for tours


Bus used for tours


Door of Municipal Building


We were taken on a walking tour.  The down town area is not very big and we had covered the main part in a relatively short time.  We were shown where to exchange money.  I wanted to get something for Herman but I had no luck.  I seriously considered a beer stein that I saw in one of the stores, but I felt that $40 was a bit excessive, I may change my mind later.  I was walking around with Margaret and Mark.  She wanted to get a pair of earrings.  Initially I was interested in the wood serving platters that were being sold on the street.  After I touched them and found a certain degree of roughness to the work, I changed my mind.  I feel that for platter, the wood should be very smooth and these items weren’t.

Margaret, Mark and I went to a pizza place for lunch and were joined by our guide, Alex.  I had two cheese empanadas which were good.  In fact we all had empanadas of different kinds.  I didn’t want a heavy lunch as I am planning to go out for some of that world famous Argentinean beef.  The steaks that Herman and I had at Norman’s in Jerusalem came from Argentina. 



Up the ski lift and picture of me with mountains behind


Magnificient views from the top


Me on the upper level


Looking down on the lakes

The tour group enjoying the scenery



 The tour group enjoying the scenery


Two Israeli's on the after service wandering


Looking down from Panorama Point


More views from Panorama Point


Me with the lakes behind me at Panorama Point


Another view from Panorama Point


Famous resort - Jaujau (sp?)


Famous resort


the snow covered mountain in the distance

We got back to the hotel in time for our afternoon optional tour.  Basically we were driven around the lakes and given information about the area.  The big stop was at a ski lift which is set to run for the summer.  I was a little antsy going up as it has been many years since I’ve been on a ski lift.  The view at the top was magnificent.  We met two young Israelis on top.  They were young men on their wander lust time after they finished their service.  One of the young men who was from the  Arad had been spending time in Chile because that was where his parents had come from and he wanted to meet his relatives who were living in Vina Del Mar.  The trip down on the ski lift had even better views.  Our next stop was at a place called Panorama Point (?) where there was a magnificent view of the area.  I took some videos.  Our final stop was near a church where we got a good view of a famous resort called Jaujau (sp?).  We then got on the bus and headed back to the hotel, where I decided to rest a while.

Eleven of us went out for dinner at Don Molino.  I had the ½ steak, which was about 10 oz.  I couldn’t finish it and I made the mistake of ordering a salad as well.  While the food was good, it wasn’t the fantastic that we were expecting.  When we got back to the hotel, I collapsed.

No comments: