Thursday, January 31, 2013

Buenos Aires, Argentina 15 January 2013



Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Because I was so tired last night, I had to upload my pictures this morning.  When I went to check my e-mail, I discovered that I didn’t have the internet connection.  I called the desk and asked them to recycle the router and all worked.  I then went down to breakfast.  There was no rush since we were leaving at 10:00 am for Estancia Santa Susanna.  The drive was about an hour and half as advertised, but we did stop midway at a gas station that had a shop.  I was hoping to find something for Hermie, but no luck.  I did see a poncho, that I liked but it had orange and I don’t buy things with orange.  We arrived at the ranch and we were served empanadas with wine or juice.  I stuck with the wine.  I took the carriage ride which wasn’t very exciting, but I did enjoy it.  I had elected not to go horseback riding.  I then went to see the original ranch house which was interesting.  I had Victorian era type furniture and decorations.  Next I hit the gift shop, but their prices were ridiculous.  They wanted $20 for some books.  I probably would have bought one or two at $10.  I saw a wallet that I would have liked, but NOT $80 worth.  There was nothing there that I could buy for Hermie, which was disappointing.  If all else fails, I’ll probably buy him some t shirts in Brazil.  

Estancia Santa Susana



Carriage Ride


Horses on the Pampas


Note coins on the belt - This is how gauchos used to store their money


People off for horeseback ride


Tango Dancing


Folk Dancing

 Horses



Trying for the silver ring


Trying for the silver ring


Trying for the silver ring


Riders who tried to get the rings

 Avenida 9 July - Widest bouelvard in the world - 10 lanes in each direction

Lunch was served.  There was a lot, but I was not impressed with the quality.  There were some salads, beef sausage, blood sausage (which I didn’t touch), steak and a pastry for desert.  You could have all the wine, beer or water that you wanted.  Lunch was followed by a show.  They did a tango demonstration followed by a folk demonstration with singing in between.  While I would not try to put the show on Broadway, it was very pleasant and I enjoyed it.  Next we went out to see a demonstration with the horses.  There was some demo indicating that the horses always followed their leader, but so much dust was raised that I couldn’t figure out what was going on.  Then the gauchos rode at full gallop towards a stick with a ring hanging off of it.  They were carrying a stick and the idea was to get their stick into the ring.  If they succeeded, they would select a woman from the audience and give her the ring in exchange for a kiss.  It was interesting.  Then two of the gauchos had woman ride behind them on their horses.  Obviously I wasn’t one of them. 
At about 4:00 pm, Alex signaled up that it was time to go.  A lot of us fell asleep on the bus.  I had asked Carla, our local guide, to find a Jewish book store for me.  I wanted to purchase a Spanish/Hebrew Siddur.  She gave me the addresses of two book stores that she had found.  As soon as we pulled up to the hotel, I hopped in a cab and had Carla tell the driver where I wanted to go.  He got me there before 6:00 pm and I was able to purchase the Siddur.  I think that it is a Spanish version of the Art Scroll Siddur.  The shop owner asked me which hotel I was at and how I planned to get back.  When I told him cab, he insisted on telephoning for a cab for me.  We had to wait a while, but I was in no rush since my mission had been accomplished.  It was interesting, his cab driver ran up a fare of about 25 pesos while the other driver ran up a fare of about 35 pesos.

After I got back and rested a while, I decided that I wanted to get a picture of the Avenida 9 July.  I ran into Margaret in the lobby.  Mark, her friend, wasn’t feeling well and didn’t want to go out; consequently we went out together.  I got my picture of the street which is the widest street in the world and then we went for dinner at 1234 Santa Fe, where had eaten the other night.  

I came back to my room, uploaded pictures, wrote my blog and then collapsed.

No comments: