Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Buenos Aires, Argentina 14 January 2013



Monday, 14 January 2013

We are due downstairs at 9:00 am.   I got up at 7:00 and made it down to breakfast by 8:00 am.  While I was drinking my second cup of coffee, my stomach started acting up. I went up to my room and I broke out my immodium and took one pill.  So far so good.  I was in the lobby at 9:00 am for our tour.  We were driven first to the central square, where among other buildings is the present’s office.  There was the square were the mothers and grandmothers marched about their missing children.  Apparently on Thursday afternoons, they still do.  They wear white scarves on their heads.  There are some men demonstrating about the Falkland war.  Apparently some men were supposed to be involved in the invasion, but they weren’t.  As a result, they did not receive veteran’s benefits, which they feel they should get.  The Buenos Aires Cathedral is also on that square.  San Martin, the hero of Argentinean independence, is buried in a crypt in that cathedral.  Our next stop was in an area call La Boca.  It is close to the original port where the original immigrants entered the country.  The small buildings are colored in bright colors.  We were dropped on this street with tourist shops.  I picked up another belt.  They had some interesting belts with zippers on the inside.  The leather was soft and supple, but the price was on the high side.  La Boca is on the south side of Buenos Aires.  Were then driven to Recoleta, which is where I had been yesterday at the Crafts Market.  We went into the cemetery which is the most famous cemetery in Buenos Aires and taken to the Mausoleum in which Eva Peron is buried.  After she died, Juan Peron was planning lavish Mausoleum for her, but he was thrown out of the country before that happened.  The army didn’t know what to do with her body and it was moved from place to place until it was sent out of the country with 11 other coffins.  Juan Peron living in Spain found it and when he returned to Argentina, he brought it back with him.  He was living with his new wife whom he had met in a bordello and the corpse of Eva!  Finally she was buried in the cemetery in a mausoleum owned by her brother-in-law.



After leaving the cemetery, we drove around the corner to a store that sold expensive sweathers and leather goods.  I found one suitable for Micah, but they didn’t carry anything suitable for Hermie.  I found an ice cream shop and enjoyed some ice cream before heading back to the hotel.  I was extremely tired; I don’t know why.  I lay down and fell asleep.

After checking my e-mail, I decided to walk over to see the “Israeli Temple”.  It was obviously locked up, but I noticed someone ringing a side door.  I went over and asked about buying a Spanish/Hebrew Siddur, but the man I spoke to did not know and suggested to I check the Once neighborhood.  Since it was after five, I didn’t think I had enough time especially since he didn’t give me a name of a store or an address.



In the Main Square - one of the heros of Argentinean History



Obelisque with the date of Argentinean independence



Main Square



Monument to Falklands War 


Inside Cathedral


Monument to San Martin, the libeator of Argentina


 Cathedral


Tomb of San Martin


La Boca District


 Street in La Boca District

Mausoleum in which Eva Peron is buried


 Plaque about Eva Peron

 Teatro Cervantes



Isreali Temple


Isreali Temple


Isreali Temple


Festive Dinner in Buenos Aires


Festive Dinner in Buenos Aires


Tango Show in El Veijo Almacen

Tango Show in El Veijo Almacen

We gathered in the lobby at 7:45 to head out for our big night in Buenos Aires.  We went to a steak house which has a theater associated with it – El Viejo Almacen.  The food was good and since there was unlimited wine, everyone was in a very good mood.  After dinner, we went down stairs and across the street to the theater.  Apparently the original tango while still seductive was more sedate than the way the tango is currently danced.  In addition they had a few dances that were associated with the original inhabitants of the area.  The show was quite good and we all enjoyed it.  When we got back to the hotel, I was so tired, I ripped my clothes off and fell into bed.

No comments: