Thursday, May 24, 2012

Japan - Tokyo - 20120510


 

I had trouble sleeping and kept waking up.  I suspect that my body just is having trouble accepting Japanese time!  I got up at about 5:00 am and showered and dressed.  By the time my wake-up call came at 6:00 am, I was already at my computer checking e-mail. Breakfast is available at 6:30.  Since I had gotten everything done, I headed down.  I had a problem in that after I finished eating, my breakfast came back up.  I can’t explain it.  I felt fine when I went down and I felt fine afterwards.  In any case, I pulled myself together and headed back to my room to get my jacket and get moving. I had to be on the bus by 8:00 am.
We left Tokyo by a highway, which reminded me of the Jersey Turnpike in that there was one factory after another.  The day was pleasant and we were moving.  We got to Kamakura, which was the first capitol used by the Shoguns.  The Shoguns were originally appointed by the emperor to act as military commanders.  Our first stop for the day was to see the Great Buddha, which was created in about 1252.  It originally had a covering, but after the first building was destroyed by a typhoon, it was rebuilt.  However after the second building was destroyed, no attempt was made to create another building.


  Great Buddha at Kamakura


 Me in front of Great Buddha at Kamakura

 Students practicing their English with Tourists

Pilgrims offering Incense

Sign Describing Buddha    




 Entrance to Site


View of mountains from the bus
 
Our next stop was Lake Ashi where we went for a boat ride.  I enjoyed the ride, but towards the end it started raining.  We were supposed to go for a gondola ride, but the rain only got worse.  We headed for an outdoor art museum, but it was really pouring.  We went into the gift shop and looked around.  We were told to select an item costing about 700 Yen to make up for the missed gondola ride.  I selected a barret, which hopefully either Marla or Muffin will be able to use. 


 Guide and Ros

 Path Leading to Toll House on the road from Tokyo (called Edo) to Kyoto

Reconstruction of Toll house from era of Shogun
Lake Ashi

Boat

scenes at side of Lake

Sailing ship on Lake 

Shinto Shrine on Lake
Last Cherry Tree in Blossom - Taken from Bus


We drove to the train station, where the weather took a turn for the better and rode the bullet train back to Tokyo.  I really enjoyed it.  The ride was smooth and fast!

Daimyo in Charge of Area - Statue at train station


I went out to dinner with Roz and Daniela and then came back to my room to upload my pictures and wrote the blog.

No comments: