Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Japan - Tokyo – 20120509


Today was the first real tourist day.  A very nice buffet breakfast was served starting at 6:30.  I got there around seven.  Tomorrow I will have to be earlier, because the optional tour that I elected leaves at 8:00am. 
We started with a meeting where we met our tour guide, Hiro Tokuchi.  Fortunately his English is excellent and I have no trouble understanding him.  After the meeting we got onto the bus and headed for the Meiji Shrine, which is a Shinto Shrine dedicated to Emperor Meiji who wrested control of Japan from the Shogunate.

 View from my window atTokyo Hilton

 At Meiji Memorial - Sake
 Sake Barrels on path leading to Shrine to Emperor Meiji who brought Japan into Modern Era

 Tori or gate leading towards shrine

 Another Gate or Tori
 Explanation of ritual of washing hands and mouth before entering shrine
 Washing area and cups that are used for that purpose

Entrance to Shrine

Me in front of Shrine


one of the many signs on the path leading to shrine

 Description of Meiji Memorial Shrine


Our next stop was at the Artist’s Studio, where there was a tea ceremony.  I really enjoyed the tea and bought some.  They had a woman who is a master calligrapher showing us some of the art.  Then we had the opportunity to model some Japanese Kimono’s.  I got a picture of me wearing a very nice one.  After I saw the effort involved in getting one on, I don’t want to get an authentic one for Muffin, because we will never get it on her!  I have not idea what to buy Avi!  I was told that Dragons are from China not Japan.  I will have to find something else for Herman!



 Tea Ceremony - note cligraphy and flowers


Making the tea
 Sample of Caligraphy from a master craftsman

Me in a traditional Japanese Kimono

Back of Kimono


Our next stop was Asakusa Kannon Temple and Nakamise Shopping Arcade.  I tried to exchange money at a back, but since I didn’t know the address and telephone number of the hotel, they couldn’t exchange money for me.  The lady sent me across the street to an exchange both, where I got the same rate and they didn’t even ask to see my passport!  I met up with some people on the tour and had lunch with them. I ran into a problem with chop sticks and the waitress handed me a fork.  I also ran into problems eating noodles.  I dripped all over my blouse, which I have washed.  I saw children’s kimonos for between 2500 and 5000 yen which I should have bought for my little Muffin, but didn’t.



Budhist Temple
 Pagoda
 First gate

Budhist statues off to the side

 Interior of Budhist temple


Our guide spoke about the low crime rate in Japan and the relatively cleanliness of the streets.
We passed the imperial palace grounds, but saw nothing as they are closed. In fact they are only open to the public two days a year.
We had the welcome banquet, where we were given a choice of beef or fish.  The meal was quite good and the amounts were more than adequate.  It started with an appetizer which I didn’t eat since it included pork.  The next course was salad followed by minestrone soup.  I had selected the beef dinner. Desert was flan and I had coffee.
After dinner Hiro took those willing to walk in the rain for a stroll around the neighborhood.  Apparently the Tokyo Hilton is near an entertainment section or Tokyo.  I enjoyed the walk other than the rain. Unfortunately my back started to hurt!
When I got back to my room, I was exhausted.  I checked my e-mail and fell asleep.




No comments: