Thursday, May 24, 2012

Japan - Matsumoto – 20120511


I got my luggage packed and out the door in plenty of time for pick-up and headed downstairs for breakfast.  I was careful about what I ate as I did not want of repeat of yesterday morning.  Roz joined me and we gossiped for a while before heading back upstairs. I needed to finish packing my rolling bag and get my hat and coat. 
The weather could not have been nicer and our guide had high hopes that we would be able to see Mount Fuji.  We were supposed to see it yesterday from the cable car, which was cancelled owing to the extremely inclement weather.  As we drove out of Tokyo, we got glimpses of the mountain.  We stopped at a rest stop and quickly grabbed our pictures.  Our guide was concerned that by the time we got to the “real” rest stop which has the better view, clouds would descend and we would see nothing.  Apparently Japanese believe that if you don’t climb Mount Fuji, you are a fool.  However, if you climb it twice, you are a bigger fool!
The fine weather continued as we went on to Matsumoto.  The scenery was reminiscent of driving on the New York State Thruway at least once you get north of the city.  I particularly liked the variations in the green colors on the hills.  

 Mount Fuji

Me with Mount Fuji in the background

Mount Fuji with some cloud cover


Once we reached Matsumoto, we walked to the Matsumoto castle which is one of only four castles remaining from that troubled era.  The gardens are very lovely.  Shoes had to be removed to enter the castle and climbing the steps was difficult.  They are extremely steep.  Walking in stocking feet was difficult in that the floors were a bit slippery.  I quickly realized that while, with effort, I could climb the stairs, I doubted my ability to climb down 6 flights of them!  I went out and enjoyed the view of the garden.
There is a “folk” museum on the site, which we visited and found to be interesting.  Our next stop was for a full Lunch at a very nice hotel in Matsumoto. 


Layout of Matsumoto Castle which dates to 1593

Matsumoto Tower

Carp Swimming in Castle Moat

Description

Castle layout as the castle was - note outer moat which no longer exists

Gardens around castle

Gardens with castle in background
Description inside Tower

Description inside castle

 View of gardens from inside castle

Men who prevented castle from being torn down

 Description


We then headed over, but mostly through, the mountains to Takayama. There was one tunnel in particular that was about two and a half miles long, which cost about one billion dollars to build.  Apparently during construction, they ran into a hot spring which killed several workers.  I took 18 years to complete that tunnel. The completion of the tunnel has made it possible to go from Tokyo to Takayama in a day.  What used to take four hours now takes less than twenty minutes.
Once we arrived in our hotel in Takayama, we were on our own.  Roz and I decided to meet for dinner.  I wanted to try the local noodle specialty, which is buckwheat noddles.  Roz agrees.  I am trying to explain to one of the hotel employees that I don’t eat pork or shell fish.  It presented problems until Hiro came along and had her write out something that indicates that I don’t eat pork or shell fish.  The restaurant we landed in turned out to be good and I did successfully eat a meal using chop sticks!


On the road to Takayama

 On the road to Takayama

No comments: