Friday, May 25, 2012

Japan - Takayama – 20120512


I again awoke at an ung-dly hour!  I can’t seem to sleep beyond 5:00 am.  I chose to have breakfast in the western style restaurant because I wanted to have fair chance that it would stay down.
After breakfast, we assembled in the lobby and at 8:00 am walked to the morning market which sells local produce.  There were stores on the other side of the street and I wandered down the street looking for items that I wanted to get.  I saw nothing that I wanted to buy although I did enjoy looking.  I headed back to the hotel where I looked at some outfits for my twins, but decided against buying since I would have been settling.  The meeting time for the next trip was 9:30 am.  

 River that runs thru Takayama

Morning Market on the side of the river

Budhist ritual

Entrance to Buddhist Temple

Looking inside Buddhist Temple

 Buddhist

 Private Garden


We got on the bus and were driven to Mura Folk Village. Several years ago when a dam was constructed, a few of the buildings in the area to be flooded were brought to the Mura Folk Village.  These buildings date back to the seventeen hundreds and were interesting in terms of showing what life was like in that era.  We saw one craftsman who makes shingles working.  He is 85 years old and when he goes, no one will know how to make these shingles.  He is storing them up for future use.  We saw another craftsman making wooden ladles.  The craftsman who does carving was not there today much to my disappointment.
There is a shop at the base of the village and I did find one item which I bought.


Mura Folk Village

Water Wheel

 View in Folk Village

Description

 The six Guardians

85 year old Shingle Maker - the last of this profession

Making Shingles

Heading up steps

Description

Buddhist Temple where performances would occur

House build using triangular construction - similar to 59th Street Bridge

 Model

Altar

Altar in Farm House

Buddhist Bell

Cherry Tree

Swan in lake with Carp


We headed to the office/home of the samurai appointed by the Shogun to rule the area next.  Our guide discussed the importance of class distinction in that era.  Only Samurai could use the Tatami mats.  The rest of the population had to deal with the wooden floors. Rooms had little to no furniture.  Futons were used for sleeping and stored in cupboards during the day.  People sat on the floor.  There were small tables used for eating, but they were only put out during meal times.



Structure in Akayama

Entrance to "government" building  of Shogunate

Entrance
In the Building  


View of garden from building
In main office and living room, place of honor




We left the “office” and headed to the Sake distillery next.  I was surprised to learn the Sake is not much more powerful than wine.  Roz and I wandered around a while and then headed to the restaurant suggested by our guide for lunch.  After lunch, I found another item that I was looking for.
Loading back into the bus, we headed for the “Merchants” house.  Our guide, Hiro, explained the importance of displaying wealth for a merchant.  If a merchant did not appear successful, people would not trust him.  He also demonstrated the proper way for a man to wear a kimono.  A man is supposed to wear the Obi four inches below the belly button, while a woman wears the Obi four inches above the belly button. 



 In Takayama


Merchant's building

Description


 Altar in Merchant's house

Altar in Merchant's House

 Walking back to the bus


We worked back to the bus and returned to the hotel.  We had a Japanese banquette this evening.  While the meal was not truly authentic, it did include typical Japanese foods in small quantities so that I was able to taste and determine what I liked.
I really enjoyed today in Takayama.  Takayama has not developed and industrialized the way Tokyo has and I found it more interesting and different


Dinner

 Ros at the Banquette

No comments: