Saturday, May 26, 2012

Japan - Kanazawa – 20120514


We left Kanazawa at about 8:30 am and headed for Kyoto.  The drive was pleasant.  I had a few views of the Sea of Japan, but unfortunately couldn’t get my camera out in time!  I did get a picture of some of the rice paddies next to the highway.  We stopped once for a “bio” break at a highway stop and then continued on.  We stopped at about a half hour outside of Kyoto for lunch at another highway rest area.  Lunch was order by inserting money in a machine and then pressing a button to represent your food choice.  We then went into the restaurant and waited till our number (from the ticket) was called.  Since I don’t understand Japanese, I just showed the lady the ticket and get my lunch.  While it wasn’t haute cuisine, it was definitely eatable.  After eating, we loaded back on the bus and continued on to our first stop of the day which was the Fushimi Inari Shrine.  We saw a dance performed by the Shinto I guess you might call them nuns, which we were not permitted to photograph.  The two girls were perfectly synchronized.  I enjoyed watching the performance.  Some of the people went up on the stage.  I didn’t because I didn’t want to take my shoes off (again).  I’m sorry that I didn’t.  We climbed to higher points in the shrine area.  There is a place where they have two rocks.  You are supposed to mentally decide by feel how heavy the rock is.  If it feels lighter, your wish will come true.  It felt heavy to me consequently, I guess I’m out of luck! 

View from Dining Room in Kanazawa

At rest stop on the road to Kyoto

Rice Paddies by the side of the road

Entrance to Fushimi Inari Shrine, which is a Shinto Shrine

Further in the Inari Shrine

Center Building

Tori gate, which means that this is a Shinto Shrine

Heading up

"Tunnel" of Tori Gates

Guardian Dogs

Part of Shrine

"Make a wish" - if the rock is lighter by feel than you thought before you picked it up, you get your wish

 "Tunnel" of Tori gates

Roof element in a building at shrine


Our next stop was the golden pagoda.  Apparently a number of years ago, it was burnt down buy a monk who was attempting suicide.  It was rebuilt using the original 600 year old plans. The gold on the pagoda really stands out.  The area was crowded particularly with school children on field trips. 

At the Golden Pagoda

Roof of building with interesting element at Temple of Golden Apvailion

Golden Pagoda

Another view of the Golden Pavilion

800year old pine tree supposed to look like a sail boat




In the Temple area


Our next stop was at the Yuzen Handmade Corner where we were shown the hand dying technique which involves painting the design directly on the fabric. While it was easier than the gold leaf class which we attended yesterday, I can see that it is not easy especially if no mistakes are permitted.

We stopped at the hotel where I left my rolling backpack and immediately headed back downstairs.  Our guide had offered to take us on a tour of the Geisha quarter.  Most of the houses are closed.  The number of Geishas is dropping as fewer girls are interested in the profession.  We were in front of one house, when a geisha who lived there returned from an assignment.  Unfortunately when I tried to take a picture, I shut my camera off instead!  As we were walking, another geisha came along heading towards a very famous tea house.  I did manage to get her picture.  Another geisha left the tea house with a man.  I didn’t succeed in getting her picture.  Our guide indicated that the girls we saw were not actually geisha girls, but rather apprentice geisha girls.

Our guide loaded four of us into a cab heading back to the hotel.  He indicated that the fare should be about 1,000 yen.  As we got out, Emily handed the driver a 1,000 yen note.  He called her back to give her 40 yen change!

 In the area where the Geisha houses were and some still are

View down Street - it was raining

 Restaurants that used to be Geisha Houses  or tea Houses

View down the street

Geisha heading for assignment at tea house

Street with tea house

Most Famous Tea House in district

All in all a fun and exciting day.

 

No comments: