Saturday, May 8, 2010

Side River, Gurupa and Ipuxina – 21 April 2010

On the Amazon – Side River, Gurupa and Ipuxina – 21 April 2010

As a member o the Toucans, I was in the zodiac and on the river at about 6:30 AM. It is difficult to any wild life because for the most part they either blend into the background, are small or move too quickly. I did see a white wing swallow, roadside hawks, some macaws and a toucan. I am concerned that my pictures will not be very good, because they were a distance away. We also saw some birds’ nests, termite nests and wasp nests. Apparently termite nests stand on branches and go up, while most other nests hang down from the tree branches. Every resident of the area owns and makes significant use of a machete. Traders bring in and sell stones that are used to sharpen the machetes since there are no rocks in the delta area.

We got back to the ship around 8:00 AM so that the other group could have their turn in the zodiacs. Breakfast was still being served. After breakfast, I took a short nap and am now ready for the trip into Gurupa, which is an Amazonian village that is not designed for tourists, but interesting as showing how the people live. One of the main industries is an accassia plant. The people who live along the river bring in the berries and they are processed in the plant from which they are shipped around the world. We were taken to the fort at the end of the street. Apparently the area was originally colonized by the Dutch, French, Irish and English, but not in significant numbers. The Portuguese attacked and removed these settlers. They went up the Amazon about two thousand miles and claimed it for Portugal. Brazil is the largest country in South America. Gurupa has a town hall, school, library and a church as well as the expected shops. It has about ten miles of paved roads and a significant number of cars and motor cycles.


Note vine growing on tree
Dead tree with vines and bromeliads
Somewhere in there are Orapendalia nests - bird related to black birds
Things hanging like socks are nests of Orapendalia which are in groups
Trying for Bird
In the Forest
Trying for a bird
Trying for Bird
Flat Leaves of Rhodendron growing on tree
Trying for Wasp Nest
Sloth in a tree
Sloth in Tree
Trying for Toucan in tree

Home in Gurupa - note satelite Disk
Sign on Fort Entrance
Sign in Fort
Sign in Fort
Sign in the Fort
Signs in fort
Cannons with ship in background
The Fort
Church
Me with canon at Fort - Amazon in the background
Local Church
Tame Parrot (Ed Hudson - Historian on ship)
Local School
Town Hall
Town Hall Dedication
Street Scene
Gurupa Street Scene
Name of town

We returned in time for lunch which was served indoors as it was felt that it was too hot to eat outside. I took a nap and then got ready for the afternoon zodiac ride. It started to rain as we got into the zodiac. I had brought my pancho, but I got soaked anyway. As strange as it may sound, it was one of the best zodiac rides. Normally the guides point out different birds and by the time I figure out where they are, they are gone. With the heavy rain, the birds tended to stay by their nests so I really got a good look at them. I tried to get some pictures, but I don’t know how well they came out. I’m hoping that I didn’t ruin my camera. My sneakers are sopping wet and I was drenched to the skin. I took off everything and after washing, hung everything in the shower to dry. I’m also concerned about my hat which also got soaked. It was suggested that I bring things out on deck to dry.


Nest in the rain
More pictures in the rain
Egret
Cow and water buffalo
In the pouring rain, I attempted to get a picture of the shrimp boxes being made here.
Water Buffalo
Trying for picture of birds
Trying for picture of birds
Returning to the ship as the rain stopped.
Going aboard ship from the zodiac


I’m going to upload my pictures and then head to the cocktail lounge.

No comments: