Sunday, July 24, 2011

Iceland - 13 July 2011

I had to get up early to make the bus departing on the tour. It left at 8:00 AM. The first stop was at Godafoss Waterfall, which I really enjoyed seeing. Our next stop was at Dimmuborgir, where time had carved fanciful figures in the lava. We went to one section which is referred to as the “Palace” based upon the weird shapes of the lava around it. It is said that there is a troll hiding behind each rock. The next stop was at Namaskaro, which is a field of boiling mud. At one time the area was mined for sulfur and you can really smell the Hydrogen Sulfide. It is currently not in production. The last stop was across the Fjord from where the ship was anchored to give us a chance to take pictures.

We had lunch on board ship and then there was shuttle bus to take us into the town. I had the bus drop me off at the botanical gardens which was the furthest away. I didn’t spend too much time there because I wanted to get into the town and do some shopping. I walked down from the botanical garden. On the way I stopped to take a picture of the church. I continued on into the town. I stopped at the first book store that I saw. A young man was very helpful in helping me find books suitable for my little Muffin. I also bought a book on Icelandic Sagas for me. From there I went to the knitting store where I bought yarn and a knitting pattern to make a “typical” Icelandic sweater. I rushed to return to the ship before I did anymore shipping.

There was a cocktail party for Columbia and Georgetown Alumni. I arrived too early, but it was pleasant anyway. I went down to dinner and sat with the people and had a pleasant evening.





Akureyri - map of surrounding area

First stop at Godafoss waterfall

Waterfall

Waterfall

Waters feeding waterfall

Slightly upriver

Me with waterfall in background

Waterfall from a distance

Down river from waterfall

Seeing Lava rock formation

Signage

Signage

Signage

Fanciful Rock Shapes

In the "Palace" area, surrounded by fanciful rock shapes

Fanciful Rock shapes


Palace Area



Fanciful Lava Formations


View of lake opposite lava formation

Boiling mud pit signage

Boiling mud

Signage at mud pit

Bubbling mud pit

Mud Geyser behind me

Note yellow patch of sulfur

Mud pits

Rock Cairn on top of mountain

View of Mud pits

Signage

Ship from other side of fjord

View from the other side of Fjord from where ship is anchored

Other side of fjord where ship is anchored

View from the other side of the Fjord

Signage

Signage

Map

Signage

Signage in Akureyri

Botanical Garden in Akureyri

Botanical Garden

Botanical Garden - looks like Pansies to me

Church in Akureyri

Trolls in street of downtown Akureyri

View of main street in Akureyri


Leaving Akureyri heading down Fjord

No comments: