Saturday, July 23, 2011

Arrival in Reykjavik - 10 July 2011

Arrival in Reykjavik - 10 July 2011

Herman dropped me off at the airport at about 5:30pm on Saturday, 9 July 2011. I found the Icelandic air terminal and then had to wait on the security line. At a certain point when I questioned my ability to stand any longer, one of the TSA people pulled me and a woman with a baby out of the line and sent us ahead. Had the usual problem with my barettes in my hair and had to remove them. After I finally got my computer back in its case and into the backpack and got my shoes on, I headed to gate 2. On the way, I passed a money exchange place and decided to buy some Icelandic currency. I wanted to buy $100 worth, which cost me $10 extra which meant that I got an effective exchange rate of 92 Krona to the dollar. If I had bought $250, the $10 fee would have been waved. I didn’t think that I would need that much. Boy was I mistaken! I went to the sitting area and waited. The plane took off on time.

I had a miserable time on the plane, because I couldn’t really sleep and sitting up in the airline seat left me with an aching sacroilileaic. We landed in keflevik Air port and we were met by our guide. After the people from the three different planes arrived, we headed into downtown Reykjavik. We went to the Hotel Borg where we had breakfast and then got back on the bus for our tour of the city.

Most homes in Reykjavik are heated by thermal energy. Owing to the abundant thermal energy, energy is cheap. Consequently Buuxite is imported from South America and Asia and turned into Aluminium. I noticed a purple flower growing along the side of the road. Apparently this plant was imported from Alaska to help curb erosion.

The first stop, which wasn’t exactly in the city was the pseudo craters. This was volcanic activity, which produced lava and later boiling water erupted through the lava to create what looks like a crater, but isn’t which is why this type of formation is called a pseudo crater.

We stopped at “The Pearl”, which is where the hot water produced underground is stored and then sent out to the city. The Pearl is a high point in Reykjavik. The fourth floor is the viewing location from which I took my pictures and the fifth contains a rotating restaurant, which I didn’t visit. I wound up buying a puffin and a sheep from my dividends, which used up more of my Icelandic currency than I expected.

Out next stop was the Lutheran church which had been about 40 years in building. It is constructed of concrete. About 80% of the population belongs to the National Lutheran Church. There is one catholic church in Reykjavik, but a lot of the members are not native to Iceland. Apparently there are some people who follow the old Norse G-ds.

Our last stop was a visit to the old harbor. People go out on day trips to see whales and there was a beautiful Norwegian sailing ship I harbor.

In most neighborhoods, there are thermal pools, which are used by the people for swimming, relaxing and socializing. It reminded me of the Roman baths, which formed the same function in the Roman Empire.

We returned to the Hotel Borg aft er the tour and we given the opportunity to do some solo exploring. I headed over to the Information center to try to get the return on the VAT, but the person who handles it does not work on Sunday. From there I went to see the “Settlement Exhibition”. Today was Museum day, which meant that all museums were free. The “Settlement Exhibition” deals with the initial settlement which occurred around 871 plus or minus 2 years. It was quite well done. After I saw the “Settlement Exhibition”, I hiked to the National museum which traces the history of Iceland from its original settlement to the present day. I was well done and interesting. I would have enjoyed it more if my feet and back weren’t killing me! I headed back to the Hotel Borg and collapsed. I tried to go out and buy yarn but I just couldn’t motivate myself to do it. I came back to the hotel and just rested. Until we headed for the shop - Le Boreal, which turns out to be a French ship. They had things well organized. By the time I got to my cabin, my luggage was there. Owing to logistics, the captain’s dinner n\has been moved to tomorrow night.

After a lecture on how things will be run on the ship, I headed down to dinner with some of the people on the trip. I really enjoyed meeting and talking.





The Egg at the Keflivik International Airport. The concept is that a jet is being hatched from the egg.

Where the Cold War is said to have ended

Me in front of building where President Reagan met Premier Gorbachov


Pseudo CratersFlora around the Pseudo Crater

Purple Flowers imported from Alaska to help stop erosion
Purple Flowers alongside of the road
Sculpture outside the Pearl

Viking Warrior in the Pearl



View from Pearl
View of Reykjavik from the Pearl

View of Reykjavik from the Pearl

Back of Statue of Leif Ericson

Statue of Leif Ericson which is in front of the Lutheran Church



New Concert Hall Designed by Top Architect in Iceland

Lutheran Church in Reykjavik

Leif Ericson Statue in front of Lutheran Church

Leif Ericson Statue in front of Lutheran Church

Leif Erickson Statue in front of Lutheran Church in Reykjavik


View of the Old Harbor

No comments: