Saturday, November 21, 2009

Ljubljana, Slovenia – 7 November 2009

We left Zagreb, Croatia at about 8:45 AM to head to Ljubljana, Slovenia. Going through customs from Croatia to Slovenia was a delight compared to my experiences on the Silk Road. We got off the bus and walked into a building where I displayed my passport. The border official stamped it. I walked to the building next door where I exchanged $25 for Euros. This was a mistake as I should have exchanged more. We then got back on the bus. I didn’t have to take my suitcase off the bus! What a pleasure.

We drove through the Slovenia low lands where the winter wheat was already planted. I could see the fertile plains around us and the mountains in the distance. The forests had leaves changing color reminding me of when I used to drive to Poughkepse on Route 684. Our guide continued his lecture on the history of the area.

We arrived in Ljubljana at about 11:00 am. Our guide took us on a walking tour of the city which straddles a river, which is not very wide. There are many bridges crossing the river. There was a wine festival going on. I was tempted to participate, but I was concerned about my ability to get back to the bus on time. We had lunch at restaurant where we had the mushroom soup as recommended by our guide. After lunch, Bette and I wandered around for a while and then went to the recommended pastry shop, where we had the black forest cake with coffee. Ljubljana is a lovely relatively small city (population about 480,000). Others in the group who are more traveled compared the city to Prague and other middle European cities.

We arrived in Bled at around 4:00 PM. After I left my luggage in my room which is nice, but not as elegant as the room in Zagreb, Bette and I went down to walk a bit around the lake. We wanted to sit on the benches conveniently placed at the edge of the lake, but they were wet. There were some ducks in the water. We walked away from the lake edge and into some shops, but I couldn’t find anything that I wanted to buy for my granddaughter, great nieces and great nephews. This is a bit frustrating.

Dinner was included and we ate in the hotel. There was a lot and it was acceptable. I had a pleasant evening with Bette, Stuart and Carline. I then headed up to my room to take care of my laundry.


Fertile Fields of the low lands of Slovenia

On the road to Ljubljana
Name of City
Education Center of Ljubljana

Wine tasting along river

Castle on Hill

Narrow Streets of Ljubljana

River View

Street View

Street View
Town Hall

Original of Statue is in museum


Where Napoleon slept when he was in Ljubljana

Cathedral
Monument to famous Slovenian poet

Me and Bette

River wine festival

Castle on Hill

No comments: