Thursday, July 30, 2015

4July 2015 - Hong Kong City Tour



We left the hotel at about 8:45 and headed for the cable car to take us up to Victoria Peak which was the part of the city originally settled by the British.  While driving our tour guide spoke about the history of Hong Kong.  Hong Kong was originally settled by fisherman from Canton which is why the language spoken here is Cantonese.  Apparently some fisherman were caught in a typhoon and sought shelter.  The Hong Kong harbor is very sheltered and gradually fisherman started living here.  The smell of the fish cooking was very pleasant and the result the island was called “Fragrant Harbor” for this smell.  “Fragrant Harbor” in Cantonese is Hong Kong.  The British arrived in 1841 which they were given in compensation for the Chinese losing the opium wars.  There was another war about opium and 1860 the British were given Kowloon, which means “Nine Dragoons”.  There are 8 hills in Kowloon and the king or emperor was the ninth.  


Getting on Cable Car to Victoria Peak


A view from Cable Car


View from cable car


On Victoria Peak, view of Hong Kong Island with Kowloon Island behind


Me with Hong Kong in background


Me with Hong Kong in background


Something must have bothered me!


Looking further North


More  views of the city


 Moon shaped door which is considered lucky


View out to South China Sea

Any private house is considered a mansion since the majority live in apartments



In 1898, the British entered into a treaty with the Chinese and acquired a 99 year lease to the area known as the “New Territories” with the agreement that they would not develop this land, which is why, for example, Lantau Island has such a small population.  In 1997 the Chinese took over with Hong Kong with the agreement that for 50 years things would remain the same.  British law still applies in Hong Kong including driving on the “wrong” side of the road.  About half a million people did not trust China to honor the agreements it made with England and left for other parts of the word including the United States, Canada and Britain.

After we got off the tram-car, we went to an area where there were very good views of the city and took pictures.

We drove around Hong Kong Island with our guide pointing out sights of interest.  Unfortunately we couldn’t stop to take pictures. We stopped at the Stanley Market which is the recommended shopping market.  It consisted of small booths where virtually everything is sold.  The quality varied from very good to mediocre.  I bought a few things.  I am incapable of not spurring the economy of any place I visit.  


Stanley Market


Stanley Market

After driving around, our next stop was Aberdeen fishing village, which is no longer a village.  We took s Sampan ride of the harbor which is very crowded.  I admired the skill of the driver in her ability to get around all the ships.  There were yachts, fishing boats, house boats and a restaurant.


Sampan ride which is now motor powered. Harbor is called Aberdeen.


Restaurant in middle of harbor


Some rather expensive ships


The restaurant


Restaurant


Restaurant


Large apartment buildings surround the harbor


 Fishing boat



Fishing boat
 House boat
Our last stop of the day was at a jewelry factory.  I saw a pair of jade earrings which I would have loved to have bought, but at $600 it was too rich for my blood combined with the $800 duty free limit. I did buy a few less expensive items.  


In Jewelry Factory



A piece of raw jade
We were dropped off at the hotel where I was planning to go out to lunch, but I decided I wanted a nap more than lunch and since I had my granola bars, it was viable.


The Hong Kong Jockey Club which is a race track

 The race track.  Smaller one of the two that exist in Hong Kong

Hong Kong by Night

I was supposed to be picked up at 4:30 and when 4:30 came and went I got nervous.  I spoke with the concierge, who made a phone call and informed me that there were traffic jams that held

them up.  After I was picked up, I was moved to a different bus.  We had a ride on an open top bus but I eventually had to go downstairs because of the heat and humidity.  We were dropped off at the Temple Street Night Market.  For the most part, they did not have quality merchandise.  I did get some toys for my boys, but I was hot and tired.  At the specified time our guide came and got us and practically race walked us to the bus.  The bus took us to the pier where the boat for dinner cruise would dock.  We race walked to a hotel to use the bathroom for those who needed it.  We then headed back to the pier and boarded the ship.  There was supposed to be a laser show, which didn’t turn me on.  Maybe I just didn’t understand it.  The food was acceptable and there was a singer with music.  It was pleasant, but I guess all race walking to make up for lost time didn’t leave me in a good mood.  You couldn’t see out the windows because of the mist on the windows caused by the heat and humidity outside and the extreme air conditioning inside.  I was driven back to the hotel and eventually got to sleep.  I was too tired to upload my pictures.






Me starting out on the tour


 Me starting out on the tour


 Temple Street Night Market


Temple Street Night Market


Street Sign


Traditional Gate

Getting on bus

No comments: