Sunday, September 4, 2016

Victoria Falls - 27 July 2016



27 July 2016


Illala Lodge

Gorge leading to Victoria Falls

 Victoria Falls Bridge

 Zambezi River


Zambezi River


Across the river


Art


Cafe


 Rhino Statue

Dr David Livingston

After breakfast, we headed for the Victoria Falls. When we got to the parking area, Clare (our tour guide) had arranged for a wheel chair for me and it was really great.  My walking ability is limited in that walking hurts.  A very nice young man was pushing me and I was concerned about him knowing my weight.  I told him that I was capable of walking and that when we came to difficult stretches. I could walk.  I was impressed out of my mind with the beauty and magnificence of the falls.  This is the “off” season where the water is low.  On the Zambia side of the falls, there was a stretch that we were told would completely dry up by September.  I took loads of pictures and hope I can remember the details.

First view of the falls

Looking down river where the mists hide the view

Mists hiding the view

Down River

Looking out to the falls

Looking out to the falls

Rainbow

rainbow on the right

Dr David Livingston and dugout canoe he used
Monkey on the path




Me in front

Me in front

Baboon









Devil's chasm

























Main Falls

Me with main falls in background

zambi side that has mostly dried up

Fig tree

Mist making it difficult to see













Horseshoe falls



Drying up - by September there will be no waer flowing and you can walk across





















Victoria Falls Bridge - built in1903



Descriptive information


We came back to the Ilala Lodge by eleven and at 11:30 I was picked up for the helicopter ride over the falls.  The ride was only 10 to 12 minutes, but very impressive.  I just kept shooting pictures and hope that I can distinguish what was what.


Getting ready for helicopter ride

Helicopter

Helicopter

Looking down on the Zambezi River





Looking down on the falls





Victoria Falls Bridge

Victoria Falls







Zambezi River



Devil's Chasm

Rainbow

Victoria Falls Bridge

Zambezi River

Zambezi River - note boats that we went out on First night here


My next expedition was the visit to the “cultural village”.  First we stopped at the local school.  As we got off the car, we were “attacked” by a group of children who wanted to do “High Five” or shake hands.  Most of them were really cute.  I was concerned when two little ones attached themselves to Saundra and myself.  I know there are a log of “Aids” orphan in this part of the world and I didn’t want them thinking that we could take them home.  Fortunately the children who attached themselves to us were not orphans.

We were shown around by the principal and informed of the course of study which sounded reasonable to me. We were taken into a class room where the children greeted us in English.  Apparently they make an effort to teach the children English because it is an “international” language.  We were shown the water well which is also used by people who live in the area.  They have a vegetable patch which they use to supplement the food they give the children.

Class Room

Children Playing and Dancing


Children Playing and Dancing during recess




The next stop was at a family compound which illustrated the hand to mouth existence of most of the people who live on the land.  The soil quality is poor and they have been experiencing a drought for a few years which makes matters worse.  I took some pictures.

 Village - winter kitchen

 Winter kitchen


Summer kitchen
Cooking area

Fire

 Shower

Iron that you put hot coals into
My mother had one of these not to use, but as a display item

 Ucalyptus tree

Bedroom

Mahogeny Tree

We had our final dinner and Clare really did right by us.  It was by the banks of the Zambezi.  As we arrived, there was a very impressive fire dancer.  After that we sat down and the first course was served, which was minestrone soup.  Then a group men in custom came out to sing and dance. After they finished their act, we were invited to came up and select barbeque or what they came brie here.  There was beef, chicken, fish and pork.  Apparently Clare added chicken because she knew that I wouldn’t eat pork.  After we were mostly finished eating, the troop came out and did another round with ended with “Swing Low Sweet Chariot”, which surprised me.  A cake was brought out for Scott’s birthday.  Coffee and/or tea was served and we headed back to Ilala Lodge.

Fire Dancer at Final Dinner

No comments: