Monday, February 4, 2013

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 21 January 2013



Monday, 21 January 2013

The wake-up call came promptly at 6:00 am and I really tried to move.  I headed downstairs for breakfast and noted that the internet computers were available; consequently I took the opportunity to check my e-mail.  I can only check facebook on my machine because I no longer remember the password. 
After breakfast, I got on the bus and we departed at 7:30am.  We were headed for Corcovado where they have the statue of Christ the redeemer.  Apparently the night that we went to the Samba show, there was a massive rain storm, which caused significant mud slides and some trees went down.  One of those trees fell on the railroad tracks of the railroad that takes one up to the top of Mount Corcovado.  As a result, our guide was anxious to get us there early so that we would be on the first train up.  We were there on time, but the 8:00 am train did not run.  At one point, it appeared that we might have to go up by van, but the 8:20 am train ran.  Unfortunately it was raining when we got to the top and the elevator was not running; consequently I had to walk up the two hundred odd steps.  By the time we reached the top, it had stopped raining.  When the clouds cleared, which they did momentarily, we had fabulous views of Rio.  Coming down was not too bad.  I sat for a while waiting for the train.  I was emphatic about getting a seat on the left side which is where the views were best.  We had to wait a while for the bus since the buses were not permitted to remain in the area where we got on the train.  I picked up a chotsky and I also bought an umbrella.  Luggage has to be out by 12:00 which is the check out time.  It looks like I will make it with time to spare.  I plan to spend my last hour in Rio sitting around the pool watching the ocean.


The Christ the Redeemer on Mount Corcovado in the rain


View of Rio de Janeiro from Mount Corcovado - Starting to clear a bit


The Catholic Bishop and the Engineer responsible


Statue from the front


Rio De Janeiro in the mist


Rio in the mist


Starting to clear


A bit clearer

 Almost clear




Map of Rio as seen from Mt Corcovado


It finally cleared!


Chapel behind statue

 Heading down the mountain


Ipanema Beach in front of hotel


At 1:00 pm, we were driven to the airport and check-in was quite easy.  Unfortunately the wait was considerable, but that is the way things go.  The flight was a bit bumpy, but short.  We arrived in Sao Paulo in under an hour and a half.  I went thru security and emigration here.  I forgot that I had left my bug spray and sun screen in my carry-on; consequently they were confiscated.  I wasn’t terribly upset since they probably were close to expiration anyway.  I bought another key chain for 12 Realis, which is more than twice what I paid in Rio.  I should have bought more when I bought that one at the foot of Corcovado.  The plane to New York is scheduled to leave at 11:25 with boarding to begin at 10:25. 

The flight to New York from Sao Paulo was the usual uncomfortable situation.  It was a nine hour flight and I did get some sleep, but I kept waking up and my back hurts.  We landed at JFK around 5:00 am.  The line through immigration was long, but moved quickly.  Apparently several planes had landed about the same time.  One was from Israel.  I had no problem going through customs.  I took a cab home and started unpacking.

No comments: