Saturday, February 2, 2013

Iguassu Falls, Brazil 18 January 2013



Friday, 18 January 2013

My wake-up call was for 7:00 am and I was in the breakfast room by 8:00 am.  They had a very nice selection particularly of fruit.  I was not aware but I could have had an omelet made for me.  Instead I had fruit and cheese on a roll instead.  

After a leisurely breakfast, we got moving.  First we stopped at a tourist shop that sold just about everything the I might want to buy.  They also changed money.  They took my left-over Argentinean pesos as well as dollars.  I saw an amethyst bracelet that I might have wanted to buy, BUT it was almost a thousand dollars and the stones were cloudy.  I was also tempted to buy a wind chime for Marla, but Ian talked me out of it.  In all probability, while I liked it, Marla wouldn’t.  The result was that the only thing that I bought there was a bottle of water.

We next headed for the Brazilian National Park involving the Iguassu Falls.  The views were spectacular.  We walked along a path.  At one point, we had the option of going out roughly into the middle of the river.  The result was that I got quite wet, but the heat of the day made it feel good.  Then there was an elevator up to the top where there was a panoramic view of all 275 falls.  I wonder how they counted them.  While many were significant in size, some were quite narrow.  I had lunch at the top.  There was a gift shop, but there was nothing there that I wanted to buy.  There were some cute things that I might have wanted to buy for my twins, but the prices were excessive.  


In the tourist shop

Description of viewing route


Description of viewing route


View of the falls


Me in front of the falls


View of the falls


View of the falls


Buzzards flying overhead


View of the falls with buzzards flying overhead


View of the falls

View of the falls


Bird in tree


View of the falls


View of the falls


View of the falls


View of the falls

View of the falls


View of the falls


View of the falls


View of the falls


Me with the falls in the background

me with the falls in the background


Viewing the falls is very popular


Buzzards flying overhead


View of the falls


View of the falls

View of the falls - Note walkway with people heading out


View of the falls with people heading out on the walkway


View of the falls with walkway


Me with falls in the background


The elevator which takes you up


Flying buzzards


Note rainbow


Looking in other direction with rainbow


view with rainbow


In the middle of the river


On the walkway


On the walkway

End of walkway closest to land



From the Highest Point


The next “adventure” was the boat ride under the falls.  For this to happen, there were supposed to be six, but they agreed to run it for five.  It was more than the boat ride.  First we were taken on a “car” ride along paths that had been created and given some information about the native flora and fauna.  The guide (not our guide) had to speak in Portugese and English, which she did well. Then we walked down a path, which lead to the river.  Once we got there Muxa, our guide, wouldn’t let us take clothes off until we were at the pier next to the zodiacs.  I had my bathing suit on under my clothes; so I take off blouse, pants, shoes and socks.
As we started going, I started to question why I had elected to do this.  I immediately found a rope to hang on to.  I later remembered that I had brought goggles with my bathing suit.  I really could have used them on the boat ride.  Heading to the falls was fairly quiet with only some slight bumping.  There was a photographer on board who was shooting away.  He asked everyone to stand up so he could get a good shot of you.  I got the impression that the pilot of the boat was trying to make the trip more exciting by bouncing around.  When we finally approached the falls, we went under and out several times.  While under the falls, I couldn’t really see anything because of the water pouring over me.  The water felt a bit cold, but not freezing.  Then we headed back and he really got things going.  He managed to go through some waves that went over the zodiac.  The first time, I was in trouble, because I wasn’t expecting it and the water went up my nose, but I was able to exercise self control.  We bounced our way back to the pier where Muxa was waiting for us.  Larry had left his camera with her and she took a picture of us coming in.  After we got off the zodiac, I asked her if it was acceptable for me to travel in my bathing suit since I didn’t want to soak my clothes.  I wound up putting my shoes on and carried my blouse and pants.  

Starting out on the trip to go under one of the falls.

After we got back to the hotel, I left my shoes in my room and went to the pool area.  I sprawled out in the shade with my book.  I spoke with Jeff and Kathy a bit and then went in for a swim.  I finally headed back to my room using the public internet on the way.

I joined a group for dinner in the same place as last night, but we were able to get just the salads and desert which was more than enough for me.  At about 9:15 I headed to my room to take care of my things.  We have to have luggage out by 6:45 and be on the bus by 7:30.

No comments: