Sunday, March 9, 2008

Giza Plateau








I tried to upload some pictures last night, but the line isn’t fast enough; consequently pictures will probably have to wait until I get home.

Sunday, 9 March 2008

I woke at 5:00 AM local time. It was still dark. I looked at my clock and rolled over and went back to sleep. I got up at about 6:00 AM and in a very leisurely fashion I packed the things that I wanted to take with me for the day in the backpack, which I mostly left on the bus. I got dressed in my new SPF30 clothing and headed for breakfast. It was a buffet setting; however waitresses served coffee. The buffet was very similar to the type of buffet breakfast served in Israel. The principal difference was that sausages and other meat items were included. I really enjoyed the tahina and humus with what they labeled as Egyptian bread and we would call pita. After breakfast, I went back to my room to get my back pack and then we loaded onto the bus for the short ride to the pyramids. We were driven around the Pyramids and then we went into the museum built over where the Solar Boat was discovered a number of years ago. It is made of cedar wood which was obviously imported from Lebanon. When found, it was in pieces and it was put together by Egyptian archeologists. They were not sure what its purpose was. The two most likely possibilities are that it was used to transport the funeral goods across the Nile. The other possibility is that it was symbolic and its purpose was to provide transportation for the pharaohs to join the Sun G-d.

We were given the choice of wandering around or going into one of the pyramids. Our guide did not recommend going into the pyramid, but I chose to go, because I would not have forgiven myself if I hadn’t done it. Well she was right! It was hot and most of the way going down and then up, I had to walk in a crouching position. I started to get a touch of claustrophobia, but I survived. We got to a large room in which there was a sarcophagus. There was a sign on the wall with I guess the name of the archeologist who found the room as well as the date which I think was about 1816, but I’m not sure since they wouldn’t let us take cameras in.

The next stop was up on a plateau from which the pyramids were clearly in view. I was supposed to have my picture taken, but I asked my guide to take it. I have to remember to ask people in the group to take pictures. This was where we went for a camel ride. It consisted of getting up on the camel, the camel walked about 10 yards and then they turned around and went back. I should have remembered from my Israeli experience that I don’t enjoy camel rides. In addition, as I got off the camel, I got hit up for another $1 for a tip, which I had been told I shouldn’t have been asked for. Oh well, they have to make a living too. I wandered around for a short time and took some videos of the area. I’m sorry that I didn’t get some close shots of the pyramids.

The next stop was at the Sphinx. There was a lot of schtick for sale and it was necessary to keep walking and ignore or else I could have been stuck with a lot of junk. You can’t get close to the sphinx. There are gates around it. I walked to the side where I took some shots. Next time I have the chance I should pick up some of those items to take into the office.

Our last stop, which was optional, was at a jewelry store, where they sold Cartouches. The guide explained that the word “cartouche” is from the French and means cartridge. Napoleon’s soldiers thought that they looked like cartridges, which, to some degree, they do.

The rest of the afternoon is “at leisure”. Right now I do want to lie down and relax. At five there will be a lecture and tonight at seven is the welcome dinner.

The lecture which was supposed to start at 5:00PM started a bit late. I had trouble finding the room. Professor Rochelle Davis, an assistant professor at Georgetown University, spoke about Mosques and Islam in Egypt. I was surprised at the similarity between Islamic practices, at least in Egypt, and Judaism. All in all an interesting talk. She kept it light. She is knowledgeable since she has spent ten years living in different Arab countries. She is apparently fluent in the language. She indicated that it takes about five to six years to learn the language. For example, there are forty different forms of the plural.

After the lecture, I ran back to my room to change into my one skirt for the welcome banquet. I really enjoyed the dinner. There was good food and even better conversation. One of the women apparently is friendly with the prince who is most likely to become the next king of Saudi Arabia. She spoke of her experiences with him when they were in college together. HHHH Her husband seemed to like him as well. Apparently when he comes to the states, he invites them out to dinner. There was interesting talk about the mess in Iraq.

No comments: